FDA-compliant PU seal for direct contact with food
...The international standard for food packaging
The new polyurethane (PU) foam seal from Sonderhoff in the FERMAPOR® K31 product range received sought-after American FDA conformity. It is considered to be the recognised standard for food packaging worldwide. The FERMAPOR® K31 is applied automatically, precisely and seamlessly in the lid groove using the FIPFG process. The PU seal is also approved for direct contact with food in accordance with the EU Regulation No. 10/2011 which entered into force on 1 January 2016.
The FERMAPOR® K31 polyurethane foam with FDA conformity is used as a seamless lid seal for food containers with a filling volume from two litres. It is suitable for use in direct contact with aqueous, acid, alcoholic, fatty and dry raw food materials. This also applies for cold or hot filled or pasteurised milk and for milk products. The right ratio of the contact surface of the seal surface to the filling volume must be adhered to here.
With the FERMAPOR® K31 foam seal system for contact with food, you get a range of benefits:
- Suitable for use for aqueous, acid, alcoholic, fatty and dry goods
- The lids of containers which contain cold or hot filled or pasteurised milk or milk products can also be sealed
- The odour and flavour as well as the appearance and consistency of the food contained in the containers remain unaffected
- Sealed against moisture, dust, harmful media and temperature-related impacts
- Protection against leakage and contamination from outside
- Low water absorption and optimal adhesion to a wide variety of surfaces
- Outstanding long-term behaviour of the seal effect
- Excellent migration behaviour for the seal material used in the formulaeeig
Benefits of the FIPFG technology used by Sonderhoff:
- Fully automated and seamless application of the seal with FIPFG sealing technology
- The polyurethane-based, FDA-compliant FERMAPOR® K31 food-safe foam cures at room temperature
- Investments in tempering ovens are not required and an additional production step is thus eliminated. This saves time and money.
- Good adhesion on a wide variety of material surfaces, on certain substrates after prior pre-treatment
- The fully automated application process using FIPFG sealing technology is very economical and efficient, particularly for medium-sized and large production runs.
- The high process reliability of the Sonderhoff dispensing machines ensures quick, precise and clean insertion of material into the lid groove and thus makes zero fault tolerance possible.
Approval of the FERMAPOR® foam seal systems with suitability for foodstuffs by independent testing institutions
The new FDA-compliant FERMAPOR® K31-A-6505-1-N-FD foam seal meets the strict requirements of the American “Food and Drug Administration” (FDA) and the EU Regulation No. 10/2011 which came into effect on 1 January 2016. It replaces the previous regulations in accordance with EC No. 1935/2004 §30 in combination with §31 Para. 1 of the LFGB (German Food and Feed Code).
Accordingly, no toxic substances may migrate from plastics and sealing materials which come into contact with the foodstuffs to the food. FDA conformity is considered to be the recognised standard for food packaging worldwide.
Experts from independent testing institutions come to the conclusion, for the FERMAPOR® K31-A-6505-1-N-FD foam seal, that the values determined for total migration in the seal material are below the threshold value in the EU Regulation No. 10/2011 of 10 mg/dm². The contact surfaces and filling volumes during proper use must be taken into consideration here.